What You Need to Know About Metal Roofs
If you are looking to have a new roof installed, you have a lot of options. More and more homeowners are looking to metal roofs for a variety of reasons. Here are some great reasons to talk to steel roofing contractors about installing a new roof on your home.
- They are very durable. When you have conventional roof with asphalt shingles, you have a maximum of about 20 years until you will need a new roof. When you have a residential metal roof installed, the minimum amount of time it will last is 50 years. Some metal roofing is made from steel that has been coated with an aluminum-zinc alloy. These metal roofs can last up to a century, with the proper care. If you have this kind of roof installed on your home, you will probably sell the home before your metal roof needs to be replaced.
- It is very environmentally friendly. The metal roofs that are installed by steel roofing contractors are typically made from between 30 and 6% recycled materials. The entire thing can be recycled when the metal roof wears out. Most of the materials that are used in traditional shingle roofs cannot be recycled and are sent to landfills. You can get a good roof and help the environment with a metal roof.
- They are extremely efficient. Another way metal roofs are great is that they will help you conserve energy. In fact, homeowners who have had steel roofing contractors install a metal roof can save up to 25% on their utility bills. There are a few reasons for this. The roof reflects the heat from the sun whereas traditional roofs attract and absorb the heat from the rays from the sun. A metal roof can keep your home a lot cooler in the hot months but also can be great at keeping heat in during the winter. Often the Department of Energy will offer rebates to homeowners who install this kind of roofing because they are do energy efficient.
- They will keep you safe from wind. If you live in a part of the country that sees blizzards, hurricanes or tornadoes, you know how important it is to be safe from wind. Most steel roofing contractors install roofs that have a wind rating of 140 miles per hour (MPH). When you have shingle roofing, you have to constantly be checking for lost shingles and the like. Losing shingles can leave your home vulnerable to water damage and flooding.
- They are cost effective. If you compare the different kinds of roof you have available, you will find that the materials used by steel roofing contractors is incredibly cost effective. A lot of this is because the metal used is recycled and there is a lot of it around. The cost of asphalt shingles is linked to the price of oil so as that fluctuates, so will the costs of those materials. Even homeowners who go with very expensive metals such as stainless steel, copper and zinc will save 30% from tile or slate roofing.
- They are easy and inexpensive to maintain. The typical homeowner with a traditional shingle roof with asphalt will end up spending between 2 and 4% of the value of the home every year on roof maintenance. That adds up. With a metal roof, all you really need to do is hose it down a few times a year and keep it clear of branches and debris. You do not have to worry about constantly replacing shingles when there is a storm.
- They are versatile. You can get the look you want with a metal roof. There are over 100 colors you can choose from. There are several styles. This kind of roof will let you get the right look and style of roof to make your home look great.
- They are easy to put in. When you pick a metal roof, you will get the integrity you want for your roof and your steel roofing contractors will be able to easily affix your new roof directly to trusses of your house. This is a very simple process that does not take a lot of time to complete.
Metal roofs can keep you and your family comfortable and safe for less.